Getting Off The Couch
The photo above was taken at Towradgi Beach after one of my jogging sessions. What a beautiful scene! Once again, the start of the year has inspired me to get back into some fitness. The school holidays is a perfect time for me to start this as I have NOTHING planned. Seriously, it's sad. Actually, it was Tine from Beautyholics Anonymous who really inspired me to start running again from her Guide to Getting Off Your Bum - How to Run 5K. Thank you Tine! Here are some of my thoughts on getting off the couch!
I used to jog a couple of years ago when hubby was jogging but when he stopped, so did I. It was mainly due to me not actually wanting to exercise in the first place so every time I felt it was a chore. I guess that was my first mistake. So I was surprised at myself when I decided to start up jogging again just after Christmas. Since it was my decision to do so, I found it a little bit easier and kind of enjoyable to do each session. So weird! The day after Boxing Day (Dec 26) I went for an early morning brisk walk. I did 7km that morning and I was so sore for about 3 days! I probably wouldn't suggest that distance if you're starting out.
SET A GOAL AND WANT TO DO IT
I guess the first step is actually wanting to start moving. It is so easy to think about doing but you need to make a conscious effort to begin. It could be going for a walk around the block before dinner or going to buy new fitness gear. My goal was to be able to run 5k without breaks or dying on the side of the road haha.
DOWNLOAD A TRAINING APP!
I downloaded one of those Couch to 5k apps (C25K) which have set goals that you achieve each week such as walk for 1 minute then jog/run for 1 minute alternating for 20 minutes. There are heaps to choose from the Apple App Store (and I'm sure on Androids as well) ranging from free to pricey and with different settings. The one I decided on was the ZEN LABS FITNESS C25K - FREE. This program trains you three days a week at 30 minutes a day for 8 weeks. I actually have been going every second day as I feel like I am physically able to but sometimes I know I need an extra day rest and that's ok too. I love the soothing female voice that tells me when to start each section of the training and it's all over in 30 minutes! Mind you, I do sigh every time she tells me to start running haha! You can also redo sessions if you don't feel like you're ready for the next step.
GET NEW FITNESS GEAR
I love buying new activewear!! It gets me excited to wear them out and sweating in them lol. Since I did dancing for last 6 years, new exercising clothing was a must. I buy most of my gear from Cotton On as it is super affordable, very durable and there's lots of nice prints and styles. My favourites are ones that are made from the quick-dry fabric as it doesn't feel sticky or hot during exercise. I use to buy from Rebel and Lorna Jane when I earned more money and didn't have a mortgage but I do prefer Cotton On. There's also a great selection from Kmart too!! I have a pair of Nike Air Pegasus+ from 2012 that I were. It is very supportive but a little heavy for my liking. I would like to invest in a new pair of runners in the near future that suit more to my feet and running ability.
LISTEN TO YOUR BODY
A common mistake that people make is they start hard and fast which leads to injury and dejection from future training sessions. Start slow and build up. Honestly, my first session I could barely complete the walk/run combo at 1 minute intervals! Now I'm up to 3 minute intervals! Sometimes, you may feel like you can go further, but be careful as that can also lead to injury. Take the time to warm up and cool down - I don't stretch before a session as I don't think it does anything. The app I was has a 5 minute walk warm up and cool down integrated into the training session and so far I've only experienced soreness after my first day. This will be different for everyone. I highly recommend using a foam roller for muscle soreness - it's so painful but it really massages those knots from your body. There were a couple of days where I got ready and ended up falling asleep on the couch and that's ok too. I just made sure I went the next morning. Make sure to replenish your body with good foods after your session. I've been loving my Nutri-Bullet and fruit smoothies!
MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF
At the moment I wake up around 5.30am thanks to my feline alarm clocks so I figured since I'm up, it'll be a good time for my training sessions. I'm lucky that I live near a bike track and there's a few people out and about. I know that when I go back to work I won't be able to do morning runs as don't want to get up at 4am to do the runs. I am dreading the evening sessions!!! I do the half hour session and I walk back home which takes 40 minutes. Try your best to find 30 minutes in your day for yourself.
GET SOME TUNES
Hubby tells me that he didn't like having to take a phone and earphones when he use to run (like 15k!!!) but I need music to drown out my panting and foot sounds. I am use to holding my phone when I jog so it doesn't bother me. I've tried those arm bands that hold your phone but I didn't like it. Get some upbeat songs that will help with your running rhythm. Sometimes, a catchy song distracts me on how far I've got to go!
TRACK YOUR PROGRESS
I find seeing my progress on a speed and distance level really motivates me on trying to better myself. I use an app called STRAVA which maps out your journey and how fast you go each km and overall. It tells you if you achieved any PRs or other best times. You can even look at how other people went on the same route. I like coming and seeing if I've improved on my times. Most of the time I don't but I get in the top 3 of my best or something and that's good enough for me. The image below was my session this morning.
I was lucky enough to win one of Tine's giveaways that she hosted at the end of last year. I really wanted to get the Daily Fitness journal to help me with my training and I'm so excited to use it! I haven't actually started using it yet as I want to get into some other forms of exercise as well. I'm not dancing this year unfortunately so I'm looking around at what else I can do. I am so keen to try CAT YOGA if it's available near me but yoga, pilates and aerial silks all sound great to me! I also don't want to sit down and think about specific goals!! So difficult! Thanks Tine for the awesome prize! She also sent me some little beauty products which I will add in a separate post.
Have you made any exercise goals for this year?







Comments
Post a Comment