Moose's Must Reads
I love to read. Now that I'm driving to work instead of taking the hour and a half train trip, I don't get to read as much as I use to. When I'm in bed, I can get through only a couple of chapters before falling asleep. I am on a mission to finish this pile of books hopefully before the end of the year!
Allegiant by Veronica Roth ($14.25, Booktopia)
This is my current read when I go to bed. It is the final book of the popular young adult Divergent trilogy. I read the first two books so quickly (by my standards) but when I started on this one, put it down for a few months after reading just a couple of chapters in. I'm not a fan of the change in style in this book from the first two (dual perspective). I found the lead male character (Four) could have been written stronger. Anyways, I finally got myself back on track to finish it (I'm still near the start) and hopefully there's a riveting ending to this dystopian series.
206 Bones by Kathy Reichs ($8.50, Booktopia)
This was gifted to me for Christmas from one of my colleagues, a science teacher. It's the novel that inspired the hit show Bones. I love that show!!! I'm so grateful that I got this gift as I didn't even know there was a series of this. I can't wait to read this!
Textbook Romance by Zoe Foster with Hamish Blake ($8.50, Booktopia)
I started reading this light-hearted, funny, 'guidance' book sometime last year but I wasn't too thrilled by it. I think it's because it doesn't really apply to me. However, I'm determined to finish it and who knows, it might get better. I love the little thoughts from Hamish scribbled throughout the book. It reminds me of the those little JK Rowling books like Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
Blood Brothers by Carole Wilkinson ($16.75, Booktopia)
This is the fourth book in the Dragonkeeper series written by an Australian author. This is a fantasy fiction type series for junior readers. I probably started reading this series in my young teens and now as a young adult, I love having an easy read with lots of imagery. This continues the story of the main character, a young dragon named Kai where he finds a Buddhist novice named Tao to teach and guide but Tao doesn't believe he is the one.
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green ($12.75, Booktopia)
An impulse by while I was at the book shop. I haven't read the raved about The Fault In Our Stars or any other novels by John Green. It looks like an enjoyable read, I mean there's all these Katherines! It's about a guy who doesn't have a lot of luck with girls named Katherine. He tries to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability to see if it will help predict the future of his relationships.
The Fame Game by Lauren Conrad ($3.95, Booktopia)
I bought this one and the one below from Books 4 Less. I think they were $3 or $5. The Fame Game is the first book from the series of the same name. It's about a girl who became famous on a reality tv show and now has her own show. She discovers for herself all the crazy things that go on and to throw a spanner in the works, there's a new girl. I never watched the show that Lauren Conrad was in but I'm pretty sure it's like that.
Sugar and Spice by Lauren Conrad ($13.35, Booktopia)
This is the third book in the L.A. Candy series. Uh, hopefully I don't need to have read the first two to get the just of things... A story of a different young reality tv star.
What If? by Randall Munroe (purchase here)
This is actually my hubby's book. One of his favourite online science comics - XKCD. On the website, there's a section where readers can submit their own strange 'what if?' question and the author tries to answer it with science and humour.
The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly ($27.95, Booktopia)
I have been loving books by Aussie author Matthew Reilly over the past 2 years. It's out of my usual reading genre but he writes action so well! This story is about a secret new species of animal that the Chinese government were hiding for 40 years. When the government is ready to revel their secret, thy let in a small group of journalists for a sneak peek, ensuring they will be safe and nothing will go wrong. I find his books are packed with action and page turners.
*All prices are in AUD and current at the time of writing.
What books are you reading or want to read??




I honestly loved Divergent so much - how fast paced it was, the writing style, the characters and story line. I really feel like it could be a standalone book. I sort of thought it went downhill from there :/ I read Allegiant really quickly but yeah, Insurgent and Allegiant definitely weren't as good. Kathy Reichs has sooo many books in the bones series! I think I've read a couple? Got a bit bored of them if I'm honest! (same with the TV show :P)
ReplyDeleteTasha // shiwashiful.
I actually thought that the Blood Brothers book is a book about Avatar: The last Airbender. Is it just me or does he really look like Aang?
ReplyDeletewww.RainyAllie.com
I'm about a third through Allegiant now. So getting slowly!
ReplyDeleteOoooh, Just looked up that series, it sounds pretty cool.
Haha, I'm interested to see how 206 Bones goes, it's not really my type of book to read but I'll give it a go!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I haven't seen that before, only a movie preview and he does look like that guy a little!
ReplyDeleteJohn Green is talked about how good of an author he is so I can't wait to read some of his books.
I enjoyed reading the Divergent series, and I have to say the first one was my favorite! I'm currently reading a few pages from the Humans of NY book before I go to bed, and it is truly such a beautiful book to read :) Quite inspirational as well!
ReplyDeleteEmily // ahemitsemme.blogspot.com
These books are not on my list yet but they all seem so interesting! I'll take a not of these once I'm done with my current books.
ReplyDeleteA whole lot of serendipity
I think I read Divergent really quickly, it was sooo good! Oh cool, I've only heard of the name of the project, I don't know much about it. Here is a link to one of our Aussie comedians who tried to be a part of it lol here
ReplyDeletexx Kat @ Katness
Sometimes I buy books when they are really cheap so hopefully they are good!
ReplyDeleteThat just cracked me up-haha! If you have a Facebook, I would highly recommend you follow HONY as each portrait and quote is so stunning :)
ReplyDeleteI love your cat!!Anyways, as I was browsing thru the photos I got so jealous of how many books you have :( But I just finished reading wintertown and I loved it! Im currently hunting down happy face which is from the same author :)
ReplyDeleteBCfactor.blogspot.com
Haha I do love books! Most are at my parents' house. I also work at a school so I borrow books from the library too! Cool, I haven't heard of that one but it sounds good from Good Reads.
ReplyDelete