Cambridge-Oxford Boat Race 2017
On a gorgeous spring day earlier this month, hubby and I ventured to London (again) to witness the 163rd (for men's and 72nd for women's) Cancer Research UK University Boat Race between Cambridge and Oxford. The annual race is held along a 4.2 mile 6.76km) stretch of the River Thames. The race originally began as a challenge between old school friends in 1829 and now, is a popular annual event.
We caught the train from Cambridge station and with my swell sense of public transport, we got off at an underground station in hopes to change lines but didn't happen. So it took an extra half an hour to get to Hammersmith station in London. From there, we walked through Furnival Gardens which had heaps of people there watching the action on the big screen and stalls of fun things and food. We were going to meet some friends at the nearby pub called The Dove but there were so many people everywhere! We decided to get a spot along the river and soak up the sun until our friends arrive.
I was loving the afternoon sunshine! It also called for an ice cone from a van near we were standing. I'm sure the lady made a killing that day! We saw some fancy boats go by and I think the reserves team race. There were people sitting on the floating jetty in front of us but were told it wasn't safe to be there once the race came through as the water would rise up quickly. The women's boat race happened first with a Cambridge victory by 11 boat lengths! Go ladies!
I didn't realise how many people would be there. From where we were standing, I could see the crowd stretching along the river and on the bridges, jetties and verandas. The men's race was a close one with Oxford coming out on top.
It was such an exciting day! Thanks to The Doc for letting us know about the event!
Awkward OotD =P | Dress by Dorothy Perkins, shoes from Deichmann









Comments
Post a Comment