Winter Lip Picks

The cooler season allows rich berry tones to come out of the makeup collection and get some use! Of course, you are not restricted to certain shades to suit a particular time of year but I find that berry shades work well with the darker colours in my winter wardrobe. I've picked out some lovely shades from my collection which I hope you like!

The following products are considered in the more high end category even though the price of these items are not that expensive but not super affordable either. I guess these brands may be a bit harder to obtain with fewer stores but you can get these online too.

NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Damned (rrp $39)
My first Nars lip product and I love this shade! I get so many compliments when I wear this bluey raspberry colour. The formula is super comfortable, it has a good wear time and leaves a nice stain behind whent he product wears off. You can see it in action in this post. The lip pencil must be sharpened when it gets blunt which is a little annoying but it works with any of the larger holed sharpeners. There's 17 awesome shades in the range which I'm sure one will suit you!

NAPOLEON PERDIS Super Lips Lipstick in Destiny (rrp $38)
I am a huge fan of lipsticks by Napoleon Perdis and this is the first one from the Super Lips line I picked up. There's 3 shades in the collection with Destiny being the deepest shade (there's a red and nude too). However, don't let the colour of the bullet scare you off, the colour on the lips is so beautiful (pictured below). Unfortunately application of this colour was a bit difficult as the bulet tip has a rounded edge and applying with a brush was annoying. But I can forgive it as it looks beautiful and has a comfortable non-drying feeling on the lips. And that gold packaging!!!

TOO FACED Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick in Melted Fig (rrp $31)
Not the deepest shade of the collection (out of 18) but it gives a cool mauvey purple tone to the lips that starts off a bit glossy and then it dries to a matte finish without being crackily. I enjoy the spongey applicator which the product comes out through and makes it very easy to apply on the lips.
ULTA3 Lipliner in Plum (rrp $2.95)
I think Ulta3 products need to be mentioned a lot more on the blogosphere! I have about 4 of their lipliners and I love wearing them on their own as they give a matte yet creamy finish on the lips. They are also a nice base for lipsticks and glosses. For under $3, it's a bargain!

SHANGHAI SUZY in Mrs French Winter Maroon (rrp $14.95)
I need to use my Shanghai Suzy lippies again but so many options! This shade from last year's release is a super deep rich maroon hence the name. The formula is a matte finish however, it is not drying at all and I do find it a little more slippy than I would like it to be. A gorgeous winter shade nonetheless! Check out the website for the latest AW releases for this year!

REVLON Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor in Addiction (rrp $23.95)
I blogged about this lip product a few posts back and I actually misplaced this shade after I wrote about it! It turn out to be in my laptop back which I discovered last week! How strange! Anyway, so I gave it a whirl again and wow, I love everything about it. The formula, the product, application, wear time! This moussey product doesn't dry matte like say, your Velourlips or JS liquid lippies BUT if you gently press your lips on a piece of tissue, it takes away some of the gloss and leaves behind a beautiful matte colour yet leaving your lips still looking like lips. Sorry for the longest sentence ever!

ULTA3 Lipstick in Winter Plum (rrp $3.95)
Another Ulta3 product! I used this for our dance groups last year for competition as it gave a lovely vampy colour whilst still being affordable. It's a bit more cooler tone than Mrs French and has a creamy finish. It's not a product that I love but it's not bad for the price and a good way to see what shades suits you as they have lots to choose from.

DESIGNER BRANDS Lipstick in Currant Kiss (rrp $9.99)
Another creamy deep raspberry shade. I bought this to use on my makeup models. I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of this lipstick especially from a brand I haven't really tried but I think $10 is a little much for it??
Swatches L-R: Damned, Destiny, Melted Fig, Plum, Winter Maroon, Addiction, Winter Plum, Currant Kiss

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen one of my posts of trying to figure out which photo belonged to which lip swatch. Haha! My photo feed just looked the same so I'm hoping I got these right! I picked out three of the products I mentioned above and swatched them on my lips with a typical makeup look I would wear with them. As you can see, they look pretty much the same or at least the first and second photos do.

The first photo is me wearing Addiction with the excess product blotted off. I love the finish of this! Then I used a lip brush (and concealer to tidy) to apply Destiny. It has a slight more tint of red in it compared to Addiction but still giving a matte finish. And finally, I put on Winter Plum which ended up being quite creamy but not entirely uniform in colour on my lips even though it wasn't that noticeable. 

What are your vampy winter lip recommendations?

Comments

Popular Posts