Makeup Clean Up


Some sure many of you know the feeling of looking at your beauty collection and wondering how you accumulated so much stuff! With the new year, I decided to go through my makeup drawers to do a good cleanse of products that are old, unloved or don't work for me anymore. Now I don't have the biggest makeup collection amongst the beauty community but I know my spending habits has been a bit carefree in the last couple of years so my stash grew quite quickly! Let's look at what products I will be saying goodbye to.
Some of these products survived previous culls but I had to be a bit more ruthless this time. A lot of these products were from my previous jobs at the chemist (bought or freebies) or I purchased them myself. I won't be giving any of these away as they are used and old.


When I first purchased the new version of Rimmel Stay Matte foundation it was so much better than the old one but I started using it again after a couple of months break and it just can't get it work for me. It's patchy and cakey and doesn't blend well with a brush or sponge. Probably my first ever highlight product was this unused tester of Revlon Age Defying Spa Face Illuminator. This is old and I have some nice powder highlighters now. I had this unopened Savvy by DB Mineral Blush in Rose for a few years now from a Priceline clean out. Yeah, I don't see myself opening this. I haven't been a fan of mineral powder foundation but one day I decided to give Face of Australia Mineral Therapy Foundation in Natural Beige a go but it ended up being way too dark for me. Still on the mineral bandwagon, Revlon ColorStay Mineral Finishing Powder in Sunkiss was probably another freebie from my chemist days. I think it's dried out or something as nothing gets transferred onto a brush. The NP Set Pre-Foundation Bronzing Primer gave a nice glow to the face before foundation or mixed in but didn't do a good job in the priming part. I love Revlon ColorStay Foundation for Oily/Combination skin in Natural Beige however, it's pretty old and doesn't match my skin tone anymore.


Um, I swear this Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eyeshadow Quad in Coffee Bean was my first non-supermarket, kindofexpensiveforaYr10student eyeshadow when I started working at the chemist all those years ago. I used this a lot back then and still no dent but I have some better quality shadows in these shades now. Another eyeshadow quad and this one is Covergirl Eye Brightening Eyeshadow Palette in Radiant Blues. This is not pigmented at all and quite chalky. There's also various really old eyeshadow pigments from probably 10+ years ago haha. They gotta go!


I got these Revlon ColorStay Mineral Lipglosses in Timeless Nude and Endless Lilac as discontinued stock from the chemist. They weren't the best, tacky feeling and strange colour payoff on the lips. I went through a long phase of wearing Covergirl Wetslicks Amazemint in Merry Berry and Tickled Pink one year as I loved the tingly sensation. I bought some more during that period but they kept leaking and the lid would crack. Somehow these would also leak when laying in my makeup container. I remember reading and watching the hype around the NYX Mega Shine Lip Glosses. Ice Princess was purchased on my first ever trip to Melbourne (many years ago) and then came the oh so popular Beige which was probably from an online order. I really cannot stand the artificial cherry scent. It makes me feel ill now. Another freebie from work was the Sally Hansen Diamond 12 Hr Lip Treatment in Engaging. I liked the sheer sparkly finish of this gloss but I didn't like the brush tip as I prefer a doe foot applicator. I've also got a replacement shade from the Napoleon Perdis mini lip gloss set. I ordered the Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer in Nude Eclipse from ASOS.com when I first heard about them. Wow. If I needed a shade to make my lips disappear, this is it. That's the issue when ordering online!


I don't see the appeal of the Revlon Just Bitten Lipstains (I have Frenzy). This didn't apply and sit nicely on my lips at all. It stained the inside lines of my lips. A couple of glosses from Kit Cosmetics from presents. I don't reach for these at all and they are really sticky. I'm getting rid of the Australis Velourslips in Ma-Li-Boo as I bought them for a dance competition for school and around 30 students used it.


I got these Maybelline Color Sensational lipsticks as discontinued stock or something like that. The light corals don't suit me and I have some similar pinks. I bought these NYX Round Lipsticks online long before they were available in stores. These are very creamy and have a nice colour payoff but they are quite old now. Revlon Lip Butter in Sugar Plum does not suit me at all and it's not very pigmented compared to the shades in the range. A little disappointing.


Can you imagine me wearing these shades all the time about 4 years ago??? I just swatched them on my lips and they now don't suit me at all! My preferences have probably changed as well. These are Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipsticks. I love these lipsticks and have more in flattering shades. I don't know why I was drawn to pearly shimmery shades back then and nudes that washed me out!?!? *face palms*
Top L-R || Dreamer, Nude Pink, Birthday Suit, 26, Guest List, Airy Fairy (All Rimmel)
Bottom L-R || Coral Gleam, Mandarine Fizz, Pink Petal, Thalia, Doll, Fig, Sugar Plum
Looking back, I was very fortunate to have worked in chemists and were able to receive some of the products. I also had questionable tastes in shades haha. We live and learn, right? XD Well that cleared up some space in my drawers!

Do you have products sitting in your collection unloved or forgotten?
Is it time for a cleanout?



Comments

  1. I just had a clean out session of my beauty collection and my wardrobe, and there were a few "ooh I didn't know I had this" and a few "ew. I didn't know I had this" moments. But after the clean out sesh, I feel so much more organised!

    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, my stash could seriously use a clear-out too! Great job at paring down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you have the most beautiful-est things!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels so refreshing after a big clean out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! You did a seriously good job with this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for clearing out your makeup stash! I know when I started blogging I went crazy with purchasing makeup. I even ended up buying double because I had forgotten I already had it... I've been trying to sort out my makeup on a regular basis but it seems that I am a makeup hoarder because I have a really hard time getting rid of products!
    Ivory Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get rid some of my make up too! Though it's not a lot, there are some products that I really should throw out. It's funny seeing Rimmel's Airy Fairy on here -- I remember hunting that shade down and never found it!


    Aissa // tea in january

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go you Kat! I NEED to do this so badly. I have so many lipstick shades that just don't suit me >.<

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Leah! I don't have the heart to go through my little eyeshadow palettes though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment! I have that issue with nail polishes. I think I have about 10 of very similar shades of pink! I know it feels like a waste to through things out but it is also taking up precious space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would LOVE to dive into your lipstick collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah I had some really old things from my pre-teen days and kept them for memories sake but I eventually decided it's ok to let them go. Haha, I'm pretty sure I had TWO Airy Fairies at one time. Oh why oh why??

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to do this soon! haha x

    http://heyitshannaah.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whatttttt you don't like sugar plum??? I LOVE that shade, though I have to admit I generally love all my lip butters and like that it's not that pigmented (I love my sheer lip colours :P ).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for reading my post! Haha yeah, I put it on my lips and it was sheerer than I would have liked and not the best feeling one out of the lip butters I have. I'm glad you like it though! Goes to show that everyone's tastes are different and what works for one might not work for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really need to start going through my collection too... I have the hardest time getting rid of lip products and eyeshadows though :D
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know! All that effort acquiring them and appreciating them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts