Baking at Home | Strawberry and chocolate mini-roons

Hey everyone!

I mentioned previously that I would do a post on the macarons (macaroons?) I made the other night. So here it is! I tried to make them from scratch once before and to my surprise, they actually tasted really nice but they looked bumpy. This time I tried a new recipe from here to see if I could make them look better. I did all the whisking and sifting by hand and I was very tired at the end of it! The combined mixture was still lumpy and a little thick - not smooth and runny (as seen on the recent Masterchef episode). I piped it out anyway on lined baking trays with little circles drawn on them. I decided to make little pink strawberry macaron shells and fill them with chocolate buttercream (recipe here).

Ingredients
For macaron shells:
3 egg whites
pinch of salt 
75g caster sugar
175g icing sugar
125g ground almonds
red food colouring
1/2tsp strawberry flavouring

For filling:
100g soft butter
2 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2tbsp milk

The Finished Product!



Although they don't look like the ones you see in the cafes and at Zumbo's patisserie, they still taste really nice. They have the little chewy bit and the crunch on the outside. I made them little so there will be lots to share around at Daniel's work. Hopefully everyone else liked them! I definitely will make these again and experiment with different flavours!

Do you have a good recipe for macarons?

xxx Kat

Comments

Popular Posts